DINNER AND DESSERT

Welcome to my boobs....they are no longer, "The Girls", they are "dinner and dessert"

Ah...the pros and cons of Breastfeeding. I took my Breastfeeding class last night at Swedish Medical Center and learned a lot and grossed out about a lot too. LOL. The girl next to me in class leaned over at one point and said, "This is disgusting." I told her I couldn't agree more and appreciated her honesty. There are plenty of women on this baby journey with me that are keeping it real with me and not coating it with roses and happiness. To all of you, I say, "THANK YOU!" I was always told that my boobs were big enough to feed a nursery...we will soon see. LOL. Okay...so the Pros-you can save about $2000 for the year by breastfeeding and NOT going on Formula. It helps you burn calories and lose weight. It is packed with antibodies that help the baby stay healthy and get the right head start. It's natural and even decreases the mother's risk of getting ovarian, cervical & breast cancers. Cons - some breasts just don't produce milk after a while and to me, the biggest con is that you have to milk yourself every few hours whether its through a pump or the baby to keep the milk flowing. My plan is this, if "the Girls" produce...I will use it. BUT I HAVE NO IDEA HOW THE GOING BACK TO WORK THING IS TRULY GONNA GO DOWN?!?! I plan on going back to work after the 3rd or 4th week. Ladies...how did you go back to work and keep the baby on breast milk? So many women go back to work so I know this has successfully been done and can be done. I just need to hear the tricks from all of you. You have gotten me this far! Tell me how you made it through. It's stressing me out! :) AUGH! My "fun bags" are now, "Dinner and Dessert." I miss them already.

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. Agebaby posted on 06/06/2013 12:12 PM
    Wow you are going back to work quick!! I breast fed my second for 6 weeks...I did not continue to do so after I went back to work, it is so much trouble, but all I can say is you have to pump...breast feeding is a full time job on its own and many mothers do it and do it well. It just wasn't for me since I work full time. I am pregnant with my 3rd also due in July and also having my baby at swedish and I am really having to convince myself to breastfeed at all with this one. I know its the best decision for my baby and I will probably get a lot of negative comments but you have to do whats best for YOU and YOUR baby. If breast feeding isn't then it isn't .
  2. Nancy C posted on 06/06/2013 12:24 PM
    Breast feeding is a lot of work. I also have been blessed with big girls and let me tell you after having my first baby it was the hardest thing I had ever tried to do. I became depressed because my boob was suffocating my baby, Ihad to hold the boob away from his nose or I would suffocate his face. He fed for 2 weeks and I gave up. He is a healthy 11 year old now and the best boy a mother could ask for. on my 2nd and 3rd babies I was determined to make it work. but plans changed on my 2nd as i had a baby with special needs. She was not able to suck so I had to pump every two hours and feed her through a tube. i was getting 45 min. of sleep every two hours at night and not sleeping at all during the day as my eldest was barely a year old. (I know I know). I did it for 4 months and then went to formula because I was too tired. by the time my 3rd was born I was not even going to try and don't you know that little brat only breast fed and never took a bottle. I had to drive home everyday on my lunch hour to feed the baby, I fed her for a whole year and cut her off cold turkey 3 days after her 1 year birthday. But the bond that we have is great. I ahve that with my other kids as well but really knowning that you can be of comfort to your baby is a great reward. Do what is best for you kathy and what you feel more comfortable with. I will tell it hurts like hell often and then you get used to it but if you don't pump you will be hurting because those girls will get hard as rocks and you can get infections. May God bless you with a healthy baby regardless of what your choice is.
  3. Jessy S posted on 06/06/2013 12:32 PM
    Kathy –
    My son Jacob was born 9 weeks early and spent the same amount of time in the NICU. I had made the decision to breast feed before he was born and so went forward with it! Preemie babies have a harder time nursing than full time babies do. Jacob had a very hard time & never got the hang of nursing directly on the boob; but I was not going to let this prevent him from getting my milk & all the benefits that come with it... So, I pumped and pumped and pumped. Jacob just got my milk from the bottle instead of directly from the source! Jacob ended up with severe reflux & a dairy sensitivity so HAD to be switched to a special formula. Sometimes I feel like I pumped & pumped for 4-5 months for no reason!!! Breastfeeding is a great way for Mom & Baby to bond and I am bummed that I did not get that opportunity with Jacob.
    As for going back to work... Legally, employers have to provide you with the time & space to pump!!! I recommend getting baby used to boob & bottle, that way when you do go back to work she will be used to both & whomever her caretaker is going to be can just use the bottle with your milk :)
    -Jessy-
  4. Amy_O posted on 06/06/2013 07:17 PM
    Yes, breastfeeding can be hard. It can also be really easy. It all depends on how you and your baby develop together. With my first breastfeeding was quite easy. He latched on right away after birth. He never had a problem latching after that and was a good eater. He took a bottle without issue. I pumped 3 times every day while I was at work. I loathe pumping but I want my baby to start off with the benefits that breast milk provides. And I want to save $$. :) I pumped exactly what my baby ate every day so we barely made it work but it was awesome. And the second baby didn't latch as easily but we are making it work. He is a messy and loud eater but I can take those things in order to keep BFing. I actually just went back to work today and am back to pumping. Pumping sucks. But so does spending $ that you don't need to. Good luck with everything! I hope your pregnancy goes smoothly and you have a quick delivery.
  5. SaraD_6627 posted on 06/07/2013 10:15 AM
    I stressed so much about breastfeeding before my son was born. Here's what i learned: It will either work, or it won't. It's cool either way.

I struggled to breastfeed for 4 months. Stressed, tried everything to make more milk, used nipple shields, lactation doctors. Constant pumping. Ugh. If I had it to do over again, I'd have just gone ahead and thrown in the towel after the pediatrician gently suggested it at about 3 weeks. My son, husband and I would have been so much happier. But there was all this unspoken societal pressure to breastfeed or I was a bad mom. <-- So lame. And now I offer to throat punch those judgmental folks for my new momma friends. Every baby and mom are different. Sure, breast is "best" but there is not a darn thing wrong with formula.

And Kathie, you go back to work when ever you feel like it. Geeze, nothing is too quick or too long.
  6. Princess K posted on 06/07/2013 10:57 AM
    As a mommy of 3 BOYS- I just wanted to leave my little bit.

First off, breast size has NOTHING to do with the supply of your milk. You can have 32AA itty bitty ti**ies and still have a HUGE supply!
    ' I did not breastfeed for more than 2 weeks with my older two boys. I just didn't have the support and knowledge that I did when I had my 3rd. It's something that I regret every day of my life still and they're 8 years old and almost 7 years old.
    I had my youngest son last September (he's now 9 months old) and I breastfed him up until 4 weeks ago. I had to stop due to him absolutely refusing my breast. I mean absolutely not having anything to do with it. For some reason. I do not get any milk out when I pump. I had $300 and $400 breast pumps and I'd pump for 30+ mins and get maybe 1/2 oz. It was horrible But I know that I gave my baby what he needed and it feels great. He's so healthy and has never gotten sick either.
    It's an amazing bonding experience!

As far as the work thing goes. I can just say PUMP PUMP PUMP. If you're pumping a lot on your 3-4 week leave, maybe you wont have to do it as much at work if you have a good amount stored. Maybe a little hand expression or a quick pump will be necessary, but your body will adjust to the supply and it'll get easier. You can never pump too much or feed your baby too much or too little.
    We had an issue when baby was born and he was dehydrated. He wasn't getting enough of my milk and we had to supplement with formula. I've had a crappy supply though. I took natural supplements like Fenugreek (found at Natural Grocers) and ate lots of Oatmeal and protein enriched foods as well as drinking lots and lots of water. This was all recommended by the lactation consultant at the hospital :)
    Get some bras without the underwire for awhile. The wire could cause a clogged milk duct. No fun.
    Get some breast pads, disposable work fine. I loved the Johnson and Johnson ones. They just slide right into the bra.
    GET SOME LANOLIN!! It's in a purple bottle. I swear, it's a lifesaver. Your nipples are gonna hurt BAD. Like no joke..I cried on several occasions. But it does pass and it does get better. Check with your hospital about breastfeeding clinics. They also do a thing where they weigh baby before and after a feeding to see how much they're getting. And they're always so supportive.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll do great. It'll come naturally!
  7. KariH_6163 posted on 06/07/2013 11:03 AM
    When my son was born he would latch but would just fall asleep. After a couple days of this happening and him losing weight, I decided to start to pump and bottle feed. I never really wanted to bfeed because I also thought it was gross. lol. Anyway, as far as pumping goes... I started out doing it every two hours for the first couple of weeks. I did this night and day. It is fairly exhausting but it got my milk supply up. My son is 10.5 weeks old now. I am a full time working mom. I pump every 3 hours during the day. I do not do it at night anymore since we are lucky and have a baby who is already sleeping through the night. I am able to produce enough + some extra and have been able to freeze milk to use at the end. I will admit that pumping can get in the way of life though. Anytime I want to go some where or do something, I have to stop and take that time. Many of my friends have said they were going to pump for a year and have stopped at 6 months because it does take a lot of time out of your day. If you do pump, I suggest getting multiple sets of the shields, valves, etc because you should be cleaning them every time. And if you have only one set you spend even more time cleaning the pieces. Hope this helps. ;)
  8. adrianah_2362 posted on 06/08/2013 06:46 AM
    Pumping is not fun but it can be done. My suggestion is to pump every break you get. Also bring a Ziploc bag that fits all your pump part in so she you are done pumping you can just stick it in there, put it in the fridge and you don't have to find off every little thing, then when you get home you can clean everything. It saves a ton of time when pumping at work. Also after the first few weeks start pumping after baby eats, even if you don't get anything and it will increase your supply so you can have a stash. At one point I had a stash of about 450oz doing that. And sometimes baby will not take a bottle from mom so about a week before going back to work have someone try to feed out of a bottle and see if she'll take it. Also when you pump at work make sure to look at a picture of baby, it will help with your let down. Buy good nipple cream and gel pads And stay hydrated! Your body works like crazy to make that milk so keep it fueled! Best of luck to you Kathy. You will do great. And if you find you can't successfully breast feed that is OK too!
showing all comments